In 2009, AmCham began a long-term program to recognize outstanding final-year undergraduate students in Hanoi who demonstrate leadership through academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities, and possess good English-language skills. The purpose of the program is to help our members find high-quality future employees and to demonstrate AmCham’s long-term commitment to Vietnam and its young people.
The AmCham Scholars Program in Cooperation with
Who Can Apply:
AmCham is looking to reward the best-of-the-best, regardless of which university you attend. Final year students that will graduate between September 1, 2017 and September 1, 2018 from all accredited universities in Hanoi are eligible to apply to become a 2017 AmCham Scholar:
- Applicant must be a “full-time” student.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 7.0 out of 10.0 (or 3.0 out of 4.0) or above.
- Applicant must have an active record of school/social/community service activities.
- Applicant must be able to communicate effectively in English-language.
Why You Should Apply:
- Receiving an AmCham Scholarship looks great, whether you intend to apply for a job after graduation, or whether you intend to continue your education in Vietnam or abroad.
- AmCham Scholars will be recognized by over 1300 AmCham members throughout Vietnam.
- Applications will be reviewed by human resource managers from AmCham member companies in Vietnam. This is a great opportunity to get a head-start on looking for a good job after graduation.
- CASH – everyone can use some extra money, no matter whether you are rich or poor.
- Scholarship winners receive a free job skills training course taught by American business leaders in Hanoi.
- Challenge yourself: Fewer than 10 percent of applicants win. Find out if you are good enough.
What The Winners Receive:
- In mid-December, the US Ambassador and American business leaders will award each AmCham Scholar 7,000,000 VND in cash. Runners-up will each receive 2,000,000 VND in cash.
- A free job skills training course taught by American business leaders in Hanoi.
- Admission to the AmCham Scholars Alumni Club.
- Resume exposure to the HR departments of our member companies.
- Priority for possible internship positions.
- Invitations to many AmCham events and activities.
Schedule / Timeline
- August 8 Application Instructions Available Online
- September 3 Video Submission Deadline
- September 17 Results of 1st Round
- September 24 Online Questionnaire Deadline
- October 6 School Transcript Submission Deadline
- October 8 Results of 2nd Round
- October 18 English Language Skills Exam
- November 1 Results of 3rd Round
- November 16-22 Face-to-Face Interviews in English by Human Resource Professionals
- January 20 AmCham Scholars Award Ceremony
How to Apply:
Here is the first step towards becoming a 2017 AmCham Scholar: Create a one-minute (60 seconds) YouTube video that describes who you are and why AmCham should choose you? There are many great students applying. What makes you special, different, or better? We need to see you in the video and it needs to be in English-language. Remember, you only have one-minute. Longer videos will be automatically deleted!
While some video proficiency helps, fancy graphics and high-tech cameras aren’t the key to success. Approach your YouTube video with creativity and authenticity – spend the one-minute any way you wish. We don’t expect you to be a professional video editor and please don’t waste money hiring somebody to help you make the world’s greatest video. We are confident that everybody has a friend or relative with a phone that can produce a simple video to let us learn about you. Lots of people apply so this video is what will separate you from the crowd.
Once finished, upload your video to YouTube (click HERE or HERE to learn how to upload a video on YouTube). Then send an email to: [email protected] with “My AmCham Scholars Video” in the subject line. All we want to see in the email is the URL link to your YouTube video and your full contact information (name, telephone number, email address, university name). Do not include other attachments (awards, transcripts, photos, letters of recommendation, etc.) because we will not read them. Do not include a cover letter or other information about why you want the scholarship. We won’t read it.
We must receive your email no later than 9:00pm (Hanoi time) on September 3. If you send at 9:01pm, we will delete it.
Everything you need to do is listed in the paragraphs above. Failure to follow these instructions will ensure you won’t make it round 2.
All applicants that submit the email will receive a communication from AmCham on September 17 about the next step in this competition.
Be creative. Have fun. Make your video stand out from all the others!