Eleven years ago, AmCham began a long-term program to recognize outstanding final-year undergraduate students in Hanoi who demonstrate leadership through academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities, and possess good English-language skills. The purpose of the program is to help our members find great future employees and to demonstrate AmCham’s commitment to Vietnam and its young people.
Who Can Apply:
AmCham is looking to reward the best-of-the-best, regardless of which university you attend. Final year students that will graduate between September 1, 2020 and September 1, 2021 from all accredited universities in Hanoi are eligible to apply to become a 2020 AmCham Scholar. Unfortunately, this program does not accept students at universities outside of Hanoi:
- Applicant must be a “full-time” student.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 7.0 out of 10.0 (or 3.0 out of 4.0) or above.
- Applicant must have an active record of school/social/community service activities.
- Applicant must be able to communicate effectively in English-language.
Why You Should Apply:
- Receiving an AmCham Scholarship looks great, whether you intend to apply for a job after graduation, or whether you intend to continue your education in Vietnam or abroad.
- AmCham Scholars will be recognized by almost 2000 AmCham members throughout Vietnam.
- Applications will be reviewed by human resource managers from AmCham member companies in Vietnam. This is a great opportunity to get a head-start on looking for a good job after graduation.
- CASH – everyone can use some extra money, no matter whether you are rich or poor.
- Scholarship winners receive a free job skills training course taught by American business leaders in Hanoi.
- Challenge yourself: Fewer than 15 percent of applicants win. Find out if you are good enough.
What The Winners Receive:
- In mid-December, the US Ambassador and American business leaders will award each AmCham Scholar VND6,000,000 in cash. Runners-up will each receive VND1,000,000 in cash. We know that isn’t a huge amount, but Covid has made our wallet thinner than before!
- Priority for internship positions at AmCham and some member companies.
- Invitations to many AmCham events and activities.
- A free job skills training course taught by American business leaders in Hanoi.
- Admission to the AmCham Scholars Alumni Club.
- Resume exposure to the HR departments of our member companies.
Schedule / Timeline
- August 25 Application Instructions Available Online
- September 14 Video Submission Deadline
- September 20 Results of First Round
- September 27 Online Questionnaire Deadline
- October 4 School Transcript Submission Deadline
- October 7 Results of Second Round
- October 14 English Language Skills Exam
- October 25 Results of Third Round
- November 5-8 Face-to-Face Interviews in English
- December 19 AmCham Scholars Award Ceremony
How to Apply:
Here is the first step towards becoming a 2020 AmCham Scholar: Create a one-minute (60 seconds) YouTube video that describes who you are and why AmCham should choose you? There are many great students applying. What makes you special, different, or better? We need to see you in the video and it needs to be in English-language. Remember, you only have one-minute. Longer videos will be automatically deleted!
While some video proficiency helps, fancy graphics and high-tech cameras aren’t the key to success. Approach your YouTube video with creativity and authenticity – spend the one-minute any way you wish. We don’t expect you to be a professional video editor and please don’t waste money hiring somebody to help you make the world’s greatest video. We are confident that everybody has a friend or relative with a phone that can produce a simple video to let us learn about you. Lots of people apply so this video is what will separate you from the crowd.
Once finished, upload your video to YouTube (click HERE or HERE to learn how to upload a video on YouTube). Then send an email to: [email protected] with “My AmCham Scholars Video” in the subject line. Only include the following information in the email: 1) the URL link to your YouTube video; 2) your full contact information (name, telephone number, email address, university name). Do not include other attachments (awards, transcripts, photos, letters of recommendation, etc.) because we will not read them. Do not include a cover letter or other information about why you want the scholarship. We will not read it.
We must receive your email no later than 9:00pm (Hanoi time) on September 14. If you send at 9:01pm, we will delete it. Everything you need to do is listed in the paragraphs above. Most importantly, failure to follow these instructions will ensure you will not make it round 2.
All applicants that submit the video email will receive a communication from AmCham on the evening of September 20 about the next step in this competition.
Believe us, becoming an AmCham Scholar is worth it. Be creative and have fun making your video!